24 oct 2013

Menorca, my salvation 4

I will always remember the day when she left me. It was a cold and stormy Friday afternoon and I had just finished working. I was walking through the station in order to get on the bus which would take me home, when, suddenly, my phone started ringing. It was my wife, Fiona. At first I got shocked as I didn’t expect that call; however, I answered it and listened to what she wanted to say to me. It was terrifying.

Fiona and I had been good friends since Primary School; actually, we had known each other since we were two because we had lived in the same neighbourhood. When I reached the age of eighteen, I left Suffolk –my native city- because  it was time to study a degree. After getting my university degree –five years later–, I came back to my home town, where one day I came across Fiona, who had decided not to go on studying anymore when all her classmates and I chose to do it. During all those years, she had been going to the gym, so she had lost a lot of weight; she was simply gorgeous. As a result, I immediately fell in love with her; it was love at first sight. At the beginning I didn’t tell her about my feelings; nevertheless, a few months later, I asked her out. We started a marvellous relationship which had to last forever; in fact, soon we got engaged and afterwards we got married. We were having a wonderful and enviable life until Fiona’s boss told her to leave Suffolk because his enterprise needed her in London. Therefore, she had to move to the capital, where she hired a room in a shared flat. The first days without her were hard, but I was able to overcome them because we talked on the phone every night. However, some months later, I began to feel worried: we had stopped talking every day; now we only talked when I called her. At that moment I understood distance was our worst enemy and I realised our relationship wouldn’t work. I began to suspect that things were going wrong, although I did not believe it until the fatidic day arrived: six months ago, when I was getting home, she phoned me to tell me that she had fallen for her flatmate, who was far handsome and richer than me. It was the last time we spoke.

The days that followed that sad announcement were really hard for me because I fell into depression: I stopped eating and I wasn’t almost able to get up. Due to this situation I decided to leave my job and move to a new country. My choice was Spain and concretely Menorca. Since then, my life’s improved a lot: I’ve found a job as a salesman and a new girlfriend too. Everything is perfect now, so I won’t let her go away as I did with Fiona.

Pau Pons > 2n of bachillerato - C

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario